Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Baptism



This past Sunday, we gathered to celebrate Morgan’s baptism. I had been looking at various dates since January trying to figure out a good time for everyone and finally threw my hands in the air and said May 29th is the day!



My God-Mother became an Episcopal priest a few years ago, and came to see me while I was in the hospital a couple of days before Morgan was born to check in on me, and the day before Morgan was born, she gave me Communion and said a beautiful Celtic prayer in honor of Morgan’s pending birth. It seemed only natural to ask her to baptize Morgan.




The service was lovely. I couldn’t have asked for a more well behaved baby. She listened to the readings, she watched Jennifer as she gave her sermon, she did a little babbling here and there, and she didn’t even have a meltdown as the water was poured over her head. I couldn’t look at Jennifer as she was giving her sermon because I was afraid I was going to have the ugly cry, but she talked about how Morgan had chosen to be a part of this family—this crazy, melodramatic family of ours. And, I couldn’t help but chuckle, because despite all of our craziness, Morgan knew every single member of this family loved her unconditionally. I and her Dad prayed for her and she and God heard our prayer. I thank God every day that she chose to be a part of this family. She’s such a wonderful, precious gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment